Monday, February 1, 2010

Homemade ~ Made Simple

My friend, Angie at Good To Be A Queen, Welcome To My Palace, has gotten be motivated to make some of my own household products. I had a couple of recipes for laundry spot remover and a mold/mildew remover for the shower/tile that I've been using but I made my 1st batch of laundry soap today. My whole house smells wonderful. I am excited...so I wanted to share with you the 3 recipes that I shared with my Facebook friends today. One is Angie's laundry recipe and the other two are one that I found in my Homemade recipe book.

Mold and Mildew Remover - Safe For Clothes

1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoon borax
4 cups hot water
1 clean 32 oz. spray bottle

Combine all the ingredients together and shake to mix well.

I used this on a shirt of Roger's that got left in the bottom of the laundry basket under some wet towels. It had those nasty pink mildew stains all over it. It was a khaki color shirt that couldn't be bleached. I searched my Homemade book for a soluation. I knew that I couldn't ruin it because it already was. I sprayed this all over the shirt...directly and washed it. It was all gone with the 1st treatment and washing.


Tile Mold and Mildew Remover

1/4 cup of chlorine bleach
1 tablespoon of borax
1 1/2 cups of water
1 clean 16 oz. spray bottle

Combine all ingredients together in the bottle and shake to mix. I use this in my shower now instead of store bought shower bleaches.

I got the picture idea from Angie...yeah, I copied! :)



Laundry Detergent:

6 cups of Borax Laundry Booster
6 cups of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda...Not Baking Soda!
4 Bars of Fel Naptha - only found at Kroger


1 1/2 cups of Oxy-Clean or Clorex Stain Fighter

Take bars of Fel Naptha, put in heavy ziplock bag, take hammer and crush it into small pieces. Put it in a blender to turn into powder. Mix Borax, Washing Soda, Oxy-Clean/Clorex Stain Fighter in with powdered Fel Naptha soap. Wha La!..You have laundry detergent and I think it smells good. I am washing a load of clothes now with it.

USE ONLY 1/8 CUP PER LOAD. Make just a bit over 4 quarts...that should last for awhile.

MY HOUSE SMELLS WONDERFUL...FRESH AND CLEAN...JUST FROM WASHING CLOTHES. MY WHITES ARE SO MUCH WHITER, BRIGHTS ARE DEFINITELY BRIGHTER AND EVERYTHING SMELLS FRESH AND CLEAN!!! I will never use store bought detergent again!!!

Have a wonderfully blessed day!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. i have been wanting to make my own detergent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I love using Borax for almost everything. It works great on cleaning off the cooked on stains if you make a paste out of it for your painted stovetops!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and sharing your heart felt thoughts with me. As we ride "Through the Storms of Life" together, chances are...your situation is different than mine. However, we serve the same awesome God, King of Kings who is in complete control and it all belongs to Him anyway...He wants to give you the very best. Be encouraged my friend, God loves you!

Thank you again for taking the time to visit me at "Through the Storms of Life".

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones