Tuesday, August 11, 2009

~A Storm Is Brewing~

I had gone to get Ty and I some dinner last night when Roger called me from the MPD (Marion Police Department) to warn me of an approaching storm.

It was beautiful blue skies and sunshine. I asked him where the storm was and how fast was it approaching. He told me that it was possible that it would go north of us but we were still under the watch.

I honestly forgot about his warning no sooner than I got off the phone with him because it was a beautiful, sunny evening in Arkansas.

I got our dinner, road around, ate and when we got home...I decided to mow the front yard before it rained...if it did.

I didn't get a 1/3 of the way finished with the front until the sky started turning dark, the winds picked up and the temperature dropped rapidly.

I was going as fast as I could on the mower to try my best to beat the storm but all the while...I kept looking at the sky. Not out of fear but in awe...I love to watch the storm clouds as they are rolling it. I ran inside and grabbed my cell phone to take pictures.

The winds were getting stronger and stronger and I knew there was no way to beat the storm. I looked up and who did I see...my hubby in the patrol car sounding the siren at me to get the mower put up and get inside. I heeded his warning...this time.

It reminds me of our lives...how things can be going along perfectly, no storms clouds in sight and yet, God is trying to warn us of the approaching danger. But, all we can see is the beautiful blue skies and the peace in our lives.

How often does God warn us to be alert, keep our guard up and not be caught off guard? Sometimes, the storms that the enemy brings on us are swift and unexpected and other times, we saw it coming and had plenty of warning but we refuse to heed them.

I want to be more vigilant and on guard rather than standing around "in awe" of the deception that the enemy is painting before my very eyes. I don't want to fall into his trap and be caught out in the storm when I can be in the Shelter of the Almighty...safe and sound.

I Peter 5:8-9
(8) Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (9) Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (NIV)

These are the pictures that I made last night. It was a sight to behold.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow




Have a wonderfully blessed day!

7 comments:

  1. You're so right. I can't tell you how many times I've been given warnings and thought I never get caught...

    Those were dark clouds. We been having thunderstorms the last couple of days,along with a small tornado (uncommon in NY) about 12 miles from my home. No one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank GOD you heeded your hubbies warning! Often we do not heed GOD's warnings and then BIG disaster happens!
    Great post!
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those verses were in my head when you were talking about being alert. So glad you printed them!

    Aren't you glad that we have His spirit to give us the power to be alert and resist the enemy?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true is this...that we often focus on our circumstances and don't heed the warnings...getting caught up in the moment so to speak

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tell this story so well. It's definitely a lesson to be passed on, Jennifer, and I'm so glad you did. Much love, and I miss you, too! We do need to get together again. What about early November? I don't mind driving on into M if that's easier for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn,

    This is so true...sometimes the beauty right in front of us can lull us into forgetting the danger! Loved this post!

    Blessings and big hugs to you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a powerful post sweetie, love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and sharing your heart felt thoughts with me. As we ride "Through the Storms of Life" together, chances are...your situation is different than mine. However, we serve the same awesome God, King of Kings who is in complete control and it all belongs to Him anyway...He wants to give you the very best. Be encouraged my friend, God loves you!

Thank you again for taking the time to visit me at "Through the Storms of Life".

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones